Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Climbing Mt. Lemmon

Reading Kevin's latest blog post (one of the 2009 Triabetes captains) made me think back to that awesome ride up Mount Lemmon - and the unique experience as a diabetic.

I have many different memories coming down from that climb. I was very upbeat, considering I hadn't eaten breakfast and had no bolus on board. I rode for seven hours and survived on gels and energy drinks. Shortly after the climb started I teamed up with Mark, another captain, and we stayed together until just past the halfway point. He wanted to get back to Trifest, so he headed back down. Luckily the Fluid truck was also offering gels, because I had underestimated my needs and was running short (big thanks to the Fluid guys!)

After I split with Mark, it was all about solitude and loneliness. The climb was longer and longer and my average speed was lower and lower - I wasn't sure if there was anyone else left from Triabetes ahead of me.... but I just kept going. Eventually I caught up with a group of riders which was nice for the company, but then I had to stop and check my blood and off they rode into the distance. I knew I must be getting close to the summit and my BG readings were good so that kept me confident and motivated to keep going.

In the end it was all worth it. Coming from one of the flattest geographic areas in Canada (where the largest hill is a highway overpass), it was a great boost of confidence knowing I could complete that ride to the summit.

Doing those two rides with Nicole Freedman at Diabetes Training Camp earlier in the week at Gate's Pass gave me the foundation that allowed me to get up Mount Lemmon.

My BG numbers were between 5.3 (95) and 8.2 (147) throughout the day. I didn't have a real meal until later that night when Art and I went to a local Mexican restaurant  - after a quick shopping spree at Trisports.

The day would have ended perfectly, had I not left my lantus, bolus and meter at FedEx. We stopped there later in the evening so I could ship my bike back home.... and it wasn't until I returned to the hotel that I realized I was missing all my supplies. Many thanks to Art for driving me back to FedEx - which luckily was open 24 hours.

Speaking of Mt. Lemmon, I read something interesting on another bike blog...."Lance Armstrong in his winter training months in preparation for Tour de France rented a cabin on the top of Mt Lemmon and would climb up the mountain to top off a long day's ride."

I guess if it was good training for Lance, it should help me at Ironman Wisconsin.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Saci, That picture sure brings back memories! It sure was beautiful, just wish I could have enjoyed the scenery more, instead of freezing my a.. off!

    ReplyDelete