Sunday, March 22, 2009

A+B+C isn't always followed by D

One of the frustrating things we talked about at Diabetes Training Camp was that doing the exact same things (same food, same insulin, same exercise) doesn't always give you the same results. It's just one of the things that you have to constantly be prepared for and adjusting as you go along. Before I left for camp I was checking my BG before I ate and 2 hours after... on average around 5 times a day. Now I check 8-10 times a day and with a heavy workout even more often. I probably checked it six times just on that one bike ride up Mt. Lemmon. 

Dr. Matt talked about it at camp -  see the trend and be patient, wait a little bit before you react to the number you see on the glucose monitor. (unless it's drastically low or high)  One day at camp after a fairly arduous bike ride and a hefty dinner, I checked 40 minutes after I finished eating and my BG was 7.2 (130), then I checked again 30 minutes later and it was 11.8 (212). So normally at this point I might take a small correction bolus, but knowing that the workout might still be part of the whole equation, I waited a little bit longer without doing anything and after the class (60 more minutes later) I was 6.4 (115). Patience was the key.

Last week when I started my base training, after a light half hour bike ride followed by a light half hour run I didn't think the workout was hard enough for me to use my usual recovery meal dosage 1 unit per 25g carbs and I used 1:20 (without exercise my normal dosage is 1:15). When I checked after the recovery meal my BG was 3.6 (65), which by some standards is not really low, but definitely below the 4.0 (70) required for optimal brain functions. So obviously the workout that day did have more of an effect and I probably should have stuck to my usual recovery meal dosage. A+B+C isn't always followed by D.


2 comments:

  1. I hope lots of others follow your blog Saci, there is gold in your analysis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Kevin... putting into practice tips we learned at camp is really starting to make sense. By the way, have you done any swimming yet and have you tried any of the new stroke techniques? I feel my next blog post ...

    ReplyDelete